Saturday, July 01, 2006

Socks, Surgery and Stash

First the socks:
My needle that was MIA has been located. This needle gave me heck all day the day I lost it. I took it with me to the podiatrist (see below), and was knitting my socks while having a 45 min. MRI done. I was all happy having a straight 45 min. to knit and was even excited at the prospect of turning the heel on my sock, when I about 10 minutes into the MRI I dropped the needle. To my horror I watched in slow motion as the needle quietly slipped out of my reach. I could see it staring up at me, teasing me, but alas I could not reach it. All I was left with to entertain myself was a poster of the Hawaiian islands and another poster of the skeletal system. I learned a great deal about bones that day and islands that I could never hope to afford visiting on my teacher's salary. When I sat down that night to catch up on what I didn't get to finish in the office, that's when I realized that the pesky needle was missing! It was found a few days later in my parents car. I had ridden in it to go to the Dr. and apparently this needle just did not want to be knit with. I have been knitting furiously ever since to finish this sock, and here it is so far...


Now the surgery:
As mentioned above I spent Tuesday in the podiatrist office. I have been having trouble with my ankles while dancing so I thought I'd go in and hear him say "It's tendonitis, take a little rest and you should be good to go for the next competition.". Not so. Several X-rays, an MRI and 3 1/2 hours later I hear that my ankles aren't stable. The bad news is that I have to have surgery to fix the problem. They go in and tighten the ligaments and tendons and fix any that are torn, and basically screw them back into place. The good news is that I will be able to dance after I am healed up.

The stash part:
Because of this surgery I shall have plenty of time to sit around and knit (apparently heal time is 8-12 weeks). So I am thinking since I can't drive to the LYS, what a perfect opportunity to knit up all that lovely stash! I of course, am going to hit the LYS before hand to get a pattern or two and a bit of yarn (is that so bad?). I'm not sure if I should knit a summer top, or possibly try to tackle the Rogue pattern I have been drooling over. I like the converted cardigan version of the pattern.

If anyone has any ideas for good patterns, good books or good movies, let me know. I shall have time to enjoy all 3!

*Surgery is scheduled for July 14th.

3 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Blogger barbp said...

I'm glad you found your needle. I've been knitting so much the only books I'm reading are actually audio books.

We watched Firewall last night and the new Batman movie tonight. WTH was I thinking with the Batman movie after the bat in the house, but it was actually a kick.

Sorry to hear about the need for surgery, and God Speed your recovery.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Allison said...

I'm sorry to hear about your surgery but happy to know that you'll still be able to dance when it's all done. Do let us know if you knit the Rogue - I've been eyeing that and really want to try it. I've never seen the cardigan version before so thanks for sharing that! I love the Scarf Style book if you don't have it and also the one skein book is a good one to use up the stash. Finaly Holiday Knits has some cute stuff in it too. Hang in there. When is the surgery?

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger smug sheep said...

Oh Kish, I'm sorry to hear about your ankle. Glad you
don't have to wait too long to get it fixed.
You've confirmed my lurking suspicion that the dpns can't wait to leap out of the knitting! Still, I think I've been persuaded to give it a go - but not just yet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home